Celebrate GIS Day 2017!
November 13, 2017
9:45 AM - 3:00 PM
Richard J. Daley Library, Rm. 1-470
801 S Morgan St, Chicago, IL 60612
CalendarDownload iCal File
Join UIC’s Urban Data Visualization Lab (UDVL) and the University Library on Monday, November 13th, 2017, from 9:45 am – 3:00 pm to celebrate GIS Day 2017 at the Richard J. Daley Library (1-470). Please mark the date on your calendar. Light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and visualization techniques allow us to organize, analyze, and communicate data. GIS Day is an opportunity to celebrate innovative projects that use these techniques, network with other users, and participate in hands-on applications of the technologies. Whether you are new to these technologies or an expert, GIS Day will give you the chance to see examples of data visualization work, stay informed on the latest developments, and think more about how these techniques can be applied to your classwork, to your research, and in your career.
Plan for GIS Day 2017
9:45am – 10:15am – Breakfast and registration
10:15am – 12:00pm – Morning GIS/visualization presentations on:
- spatial data infrastructure
- creating flood susceptibility indexes
- mapping with robotic vehicles
12:00pm – 1:30pm – Lunch and lightning talks on:
- careers in GIS
- analyzing the impact of the Great Recession on food access with GeoDa
- new tools to estimate optimal locations for green infrastructure
- finding suitable locations for electric vehicles charging stations
- measuring neighborhood change with machine learning approaches
- using visual story-telling to help communities address water issues
1:30pm – 3:00pm – GIS/visualization hands-on activities
- simplyAnalytics as a sandbox
- using R and Shiny to make applications for the surveillance of seasonal flu outbreaks
Please fill out this form to indicate your food preference, and feel free to contact us with any questions in the meantime.
Sep 11, 2017
Apr 16, 2019